Whenever I perform with my horse the first thing that everyone compliments us on is our use of GLITTER! I particularly love to make Douwe's or Rovandio's hooves gold, silver, or copper, whatever matches our costume. Everyone always asks how I get the glitter to stay on the hooves and on their manes and tails. So, I wanted to share this SUPER EASY secret to getting your own "cheap" version of Twinkle Toes!
What You Need:
- Hoof Polish: I prefer black because it makes the hooves really stand out, but clear will work fine as well.
- GLITTER: You can get glitter in many colors at any craft store, JoAnn Fabric, ACMoore, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart. You can just get the regular craft glitter. The fine glitter works really well for the mane and coat but I usually just get the large containers of big glitter.
- Hairspray: Can(s) of Super Hold hairspray- you can buy this at WalMart, Walgreens, etc...
- Latex Gloves: If you don't want to get the hoof polish on your hands, wear gloves!
- Block of Wood: To help keep the hoof area clear of shavings or to protect the floor.
How to Apply Glitter to the Hooves:
- Clean the hoof and leg- just brushing it off will do! You don't need to wash the hoof.
- Place the hoof on a piece of wood if you would like to keep shavings/dirt away from the drying polish.
- Apply the hoof polish to one hoof at a time.
- Sprinkle on the glitter immediately after you apply the hoof polish.
- Do one hoof at a time and wait until it dries, it doesn't take too long, maybe 10 minutes before you are ready to ride.
How to Apply Glitter to the Mane/Tail/Coat:
- Groom your horse first! Do not use Show Sheen or the glitter will not stick.
- You might need someone to hold your horse while you spray, some horses don't like the hairspray, be careful!
- With the glitter in one hand and the hairspray in the other, spray a section of the horse and then sprinkle on the glitter.
- I usually spray, sprinkle, and then spray again over the glitter to get it to stay.
- The horse may shake his head after you are done, that is why we put on a lot of glitter! We usually keep in mind that half of it will fall off once the horse shakes or the skirts rub it off.
And you are done!
I would love to see photos of your horse all glittered up, make sure to post them on my Facebook page at Begin the Dance with Sandra Beaulieu or email them to me at email@example.com. Have fun!
These hoodies are made of recycled polyester and organic cotton. They are SUPER SOFT and addictive to wear to the barn, to school, to town, basically everywhere!