For those of you who live in New England you will understand how AWFUL this winter has been! I feel like I live in the North Pole, right now the temperature outside is ZERO degrees but the 20 mph winds make it feel like -15! I have had to de-ice my horse's water buckets three-four times a day and on top of that the water faucet froze and I am carrying water further than my arms want to carry! Anyway.....enough complaining! While I am in the winter spirit I just thought I would share a product that I have used for many years to survive the harsh Maine winters. May I present..ta-da!... the:
Mountain Horse Polar Riding Breeches
I probably wear these pants at least 3 times a day, every time I head over to the barn and also when I go cross-country skiing, sliding, or head out on my snowshoes.
- Super warm!!!
- Easy to ride in with a grippy seat.
- Fairly easy to get your boots on with a button & zipper that starts at the bottom of the pants.
- They look better than regular snowpants!
- Easy to clean, just throw them in the washing machine.
- The seat seam is very fragile, I have re-sewn mine REPEATEDLY because they are not reinforced enough to withstand a lot of riding. I really wish Mountain Horse would address this.
- To compensate for the weak seam in the seat I buy my pants one size larger than I think I will need. The extra room puts less pressure on the seam, is easier to put over breeches & boots, and there is no restriction while riding. The first year I bought these pants I picked the size that looked the best, was fairly fitted and would have been perfect for regular wear. But the second I got on my horse I knew they were too small because I could feel the restriction and then the seam kept coming apart. So I recommend trying a larger size and that should help them last a LOT longer.
- Because I buy them a little large I have to wear a belt, a pain but it works.
- I cut off the fabric & elastic that goes around your ankles, underneath the outer layer. I found it very irritating to keep adjusting and pulling it over my boots. But once I cut it off everything works great!
You can buy these snowpants anywhere that carries Mountain Horse products. They are online at Dover Saddlery, Smartpak, pretty much everywhere! If you want to take a look at the entire Mountain Horse collection you can visit their website: http://mountainhorseusa.com/